Saturday, April 12, 2008

Jimmy in Africa!!!!

Monday
Jimmy flew in and I went with my driver, Pearnel, to go pick him up from the airport. I was so excited I even made a sign for him. It said Jimmy and it had a South African flag on it. I have to say it was awesome! Anyways we left pretty early but when we got to the airport we could figure out where to pick up domestic flights(Jimmy flew into Jo-Burg first so his flight was domestic) and Pearnel didn’t know where to go because he was so used to picking people up from the international side and it was dark out and like all things in Africa, the signs didn’t help at all. Well we finally found the area where domestic arrivals were and parked but it had started to rain and we parked pretty far away so we had to run through the rain to where to domestic arrivals were. Then, Jimmy’s bag was broken on the plane so we had to walk back through the rain with his broken bag. It was pretty hectic but still amazing! It was so nice to have Jimmy come visit me. But it was late so I just introduced Jimmy to the girls, showed him the house, and then we went to sleep.
Tuesday
Unfortunately on Jimmy’s first day we had to wake up at 6 am to go to my work, but it was really cool to show him where the magic is done, hehe. We had a pretty productive day. We were trying to figure out what to do because we needed to find a cheaper vacuum pump and it was frustrating because all pumps were quoted at the same price so Shona told us we needed to make our own. So we were trying to figure this out and Jimmy helped and we finally decided that trying a air mattress pump might work. We went to a place similar to Sam’s Club and picked up a pump. I think Jimmy wanted to stay and look around because it was a really cool store. Anyways so we finally made it home, we took a nap because Jimmy still had really bad jet lag and then we went grocery shopping because we had no food. That was fun because I missed making food for more than just me and it was nice to decide what we were going to make together. After we made dinner we decided to go out with the girls to Stones for 8 rand night(its like a dollar for a beer) to chill and play pool. It was really fun. I killed Jimmy in pool but I think it was because the balls and pockets here are smaller than in the states. It was really nice to have my boyfriend there too because no creepy guys hit on me. Overall we had a pretty relaxing day.
Wednesday
Jimmy got the privilege to come to school with me on Wed! Yay, not, but it was really nice to show him my campus and we went to the Barn. The Barn is like a pub they have on campus and they sell this sandwich like thing called a Gatsby. The Gatsby is huge! I swear I could eat for an entire week by just having one Gatsby. But anyways Jimmy and I split a chicken Gatsby and I think he really liked it. Then we went to the bookstore on campus to try and find a college shirt for Jimmy. Well they don’t have regular college shirts here like they do in the states. They only have Polo Ts so we decided it wouldn’t be worth it to get one. I didn’t want to look preppy. Anyways both Jimmy and I had papers to do so we stayed in tonight and figured out the car situation to go to Simon’s Town tomorrow.
Thursday
Today was Simon’s Town day! Day to see the penguins! But to get there we decided to rent a car. Jimmy had his first experience driving in South Africa! Wow did he learn how to drive on the other side of the road quickly! He was really good at it, I think it would take me longer to get used to. Anyways we went to Simon’s Town and walked around and saw all the penguins, there were so many of them. we also got to swim with them because they have a beach where to penguins hang out. It was really cold though! I thought I was going to die going into the water but I think that its colder because it is closer to the Atlantic Ocean. Anyways Jimmy finally made me go in and it was really fun because they waves were big and I was swimming with penguins!!! How cool! So after we hung out at the beach for a little we decided to head back and stop in a couple of the towns on the way back. Jimmy and Adria really wanted KFC so we stopped at KFC for lunch, I couldn’t believe I was eating KFC in Africa, I don’t even eat it in the states. After KFC we went to Kaut Bay to walk around and look at the shops. Jimmy got tricked into paying for parking because none of us girls said anything quickly enough(People here put vest on and act like they are parking checkers and they will tell people they know are tourist that they need to pay for parking but you really don’t have to, they are just normal people). Anyways it was bad because it was on 10 rand, a little over a dollar. So we walked around and looked at some shops and then we went to where the light house was and watched the ocean crash against the walls. The water went so high! Well after a while Renee was getting tired so we left and went home, plus Jimmy and I needed to shower for dinner. We were going to go to Spear, this place where you can pet cheetahs, for dinner but they were booked so we needed to figure out what we were going to do. We went to Obs Café to have coffee and figure out what we were going to do(This was the start of Jimmy’s obsession with Obs Café, they are really good though). In the end we decided to go down to the water front. It was a good choice. We went to this really nice seafood restaurant that had an amazing view of Table Mountain. Plus, I got to eat lobster! I haven’t had lobster in like 3 years. It was so good! Overall dinner was amazing!
Friday
Unfortunately I had to go to class today, but I didn’t make Jimmy come. He ended up going around Ons and checking everything out. But Friday night we had plans to go to the Baxter theatre to see Othello. We got ready and decided to take a cambi there. It was Jimmy’s first cambi experience and it was sooooo funny! The guy who was collecting the money was really funny. He was from South Africa but he said he lived in the states for a while. He keeping joking about being best friends with Snoop Dogg and telling us about all the parties they had. He also keep hitting on Mallory and Ashley. It was funny because he was so blunt about it and I think he was just joking around. I don’t think Jimmy thought it was as funny though but it was nice for him to see the interesting people you can meet on the cambies. Anyways so we finally got to the Baxter and we were a bit early so we went to the bar to have girlie drinks before the show. The show turned out to be amazing! It turns out it was students from UCT who were the actors and actresses and they were so good! I haven’t seen theatre since high school and now I want to go more offend. You feel a connection with the characters you don’t get when you watch movies.
Saturday
Canyoning! Yes, I decided to take Jimmy Canyoning and he loved it. It was so cute though because he was really afraid at first. The guy who runs it says that is normal. Guys usually talk a lot but then they are more afraid of it than women. But he wasn’t bad! It was also really cute because between each waterfall you have to walk through the river and it is really slippery. Well Jimmy slipped a fair amount of times but he would also turn back and put out his hand to make sure I didn’t slip, it was sooooooo cute!!! I also got to play photographer and so when I get home ill have to show you guys all the picture from the day. We got to do five waterfalls, I was exhausted by the end, I slept the entire car ride home. Anyways we were starved by the time we got back so we went to this Indian food place in Obs that the girls go to all the time. It was so good to get a full stomach, but after the long day(we had woke up at 5 am) we needed a nap so we decided to take a nap before the party(we were having people over at our house that night) . well I told one of my roommates to make sure we were up in like an hour but she never woke me up so Jimmy and I slept through the entire party. Its ok though, we were worn from the long day with Mother Nature. I’m so glad we went!
Sunday
I decided to take Jimmy to the church that I have been going to down here. It was really interesting to see how he would like the songs in Xhosa and all the dancing. I think he enjoyed it, but he wouldn’t dance that much. Anyways after church we went to the store to get stuff for South Africa’s version of Jazz in the Park at Kirstenbousch. Kirstenbousch is the gardens in Cape Town and it is absolutely beautiful. Well they hold concerts on a hill that overlooks the mountains and tons of people come and have wine and cheese and listen to African music, so I decided it would be a good idea to take Jimmy to the gardens. Well we got there early so we decided to walk around and see the gardens and all the statues they have. It turns out they have a footprint statue!!! How cool and it looked just like my tattoo so I needed to get a picture with it. Well it sits on this tree stump and so I decided to sit on the stump so that I could but my feet next to the big foot, bad idea! I ended up sitting in tree sap and I got it all over the butt of my dress! It was so embarrassing because it looked like I pooped my pants! We went to the bathroom and tried to get it off but it wouldn’t come out. Jimmy made me feel better though and reminded me that I don’t know anyone here so I shouldn’t be embarrassed. So we walked around a little more and then went back to listen to the music. It was really cool to lay there, listen to music, eat cheese, drink wine, and watch the sun go down behind the mountain but it was even more amazing because Jimmy was there with me! Despite the tree sap it was an awesome day!
Monday
I only went to work for a half day today and so Jimmy and I got to go downtown to the Green Street Market. It was cool and Jimmy got to see all the African art and he got to try and bargain with the Africans. He ended up getting his mask here! We also went into this cute African art store and got some stuff for his grandma and mom. Overall we had a productive shopping experience. But then we decided to head up to Table Mountain. We wanted to take the cable car up. After running around the market to try and find a cambi to take us there we ended up having to take a cab, but it was worth it. The cable car was really cool and it spun as you went up so you got a 360 degree view as you went to the top. On the top of Table Mountain you can see both the Atlantic Ocean side and the Indian Ocean side. It was beautiful! Also Jimmy and I had brought a picnic to eat up there because the girls who had gone before said that there were tons of people picnicking on top of Table Mountain. She was wrong! No one was picnicking but I was really hungry so we sat and had our own picnic, it was nice. Then we looked around more and went in the little shop they had. This is where Jimmy bought me my awesome Safari hat! We stayed for like 2 hours and then we headed home, watched a movie and hung out with the girls.
Tuesday
My last day with Jimmy, I cried a couple of times this day. We decided that on the last day we were going to take it easy and go to the beach. We took the train to Muzienburg beach. It was nice we ended up getting food at this cute little shop. I got a Calamari sandwich and it was awesome! And Jimmy got some sausage that he ended up likely so much he got another one. Then we went to the beach, played in the water, laid in the sun, played in the water some more. It was really nice, not as cold as Simon’s Town. We also walked along the beach and Jimmy found a snail, it was really awesome because he picked it up. I have a picture don’t worry. Anyways we relaxed the entire day and watched kids play in the water and people surf. It was super nice. And then when we were heading back with both got Coke in a glass bottle! It tastes so much better out of a glass bottle and unlike Mexico you get to keep the bottles here! We went back on the train and ended up packing and just enjoying the last night together.
Wednesday
Jimmy left and I cried all day!

No comments: