Sunday, April 6, 2008

Fifth Week- the week of random events

Feb 25th - March 2nd

Got my hair braided!
Well I said I was going to do it and I did! I got my hair braided. Little braids too! It took forever though. Adria and I went to this new place in Obs and the girl who did my hair couldn’t even speak English but she was super fast at braiding. However, it still took three hours! It was nice to have Adria there and we had a really nice convo. In the end, it looked amazing! I loved it!

Beach then Rugby Game!!
So our teacher had a conference this Friday and we didn’t have our second class. Therefore, me and like 5 of the other girls took the train to Muzienburg. We relaxed, I read on the beach and we hopped in the water, I couldn’t go in because of my hair, but it was still nice to put my feet in. however we got ridiculously sandy and so I hair to take a shower to get the sand out of my hair. Therefore I spent like and hour rebraided the bottom of my hair, but it still looked nice. Then we headed off to our first South African rugby game! Yeah ross, I know ur jealous! It was really cool, really crowded though. We had to walk through big crowds to get to the station and then in the station it was hard to get to your seat because there were so many people. But when you got to your seat it wasn’t that bad. Something else that’s different from the states is that they don’t serve beer in the stands, they serve donuts and hot chocolate, isnt that weird! To drink you have to go into the bar underneath the station so about half way through the game like half of our girls got bored and went down there. Me, Britney, Renee, and Ashley stayed and watched the game. It was really fun because people got really into it! The South Africa team got killed though! I couldn’t believe how bad we did, but hey I don’t really know that much about it though but Britney who plays rugby said we played really bad. It was still interesting to watch and Britney keep me informed on what was happening. O yeah, while we were watching the game the guy in front of us turned around to talk with us. It was so weird but so nice to hear an American accent! It turns out he is from cali and he is doing business in cape town. It was so nice to talk with him about America and familiar things (I have been deprived an American accent for a while!). but soon they left because our team was getting killed. We decided to stay because the other girls hadn’t gotten back yet. Well the game ended and they still weren’t there so we went down to the bar to find them. Well it turns out that the girls meet an entire rugby team from Argentina that was visiting to play a tournament. They were 52 of them! And like when Milton brings his rugby team home, they were loud and rowdy. It was funny though, because we couldn’t understand what they were saying but they keep jumping up and down and chanting. It was fun because you would just jump with them but you didn’t know what was going on! Well it turns out that they wanted to keep hanging out with us and they had their tour bus so they offered to take us back to Obs and go to the bars in Obs with us. Since there were fifteen of us we figured it would be ok, plus I met their coach and personal trainer before we left so I felt more comfortable about it because they were adults. So we took the entire rugby team to Obs! The ride there was interesting because only some of them spoke English and so it was fun trying to figure out what everyone was saying. But they were really nice, we both talked about what we were doing in Cape Town and what we thought out cape town, etc. Finally we got to Obs and ended up at Stones, where we always go. I think we overwhelmed the bar though, because 60 of us walked in! it was funny to watch the Argentinans try and order. I had to order for some of them because they couldn’t speak English. But it was fun to just hang out and joke around with everyone. Well this was also the night I met Patrick, probably my best guy friend in Obs. Pat is one of the bartenders at Stones and while I was ordering for one of the boys I apologized to him for bringing so many people in and overcrowding them. he laughed and said it was ok and then asked where I was from. We ended up talking(don’t worry Jimmy I told him I had a boyfriend!) and he was really nice! He is from the DRC and is here studying and working in Cape Town. That nice I met so many awesome people!

Winery Tour
So after our crazy Friday, we had a planned winery tour. Kristina’s, one of the girls in the house, dad has an old business partner that now owns a winery in Stellenbosch and even more important, he is from Green Bay Wisconsin!!! How cool is that! Again it was so nice to hear a familiar accent and it made me even more excited that Jimmy was coming in like 2 weeks. Anyways the winery tour was really fun. I don’t really like wine, but I have never really tasted good wine. So we got to taste like 8 wines and I found that wine isnt that nasty and I actually like white wine. He also showed us around the winery and told us about how it worked and why they did certain things. He was so enthusiastic about it, it was even more exciting. Finally we got to try one of the wines straight from the barrel, cool! Overall it was really nice because I have never been on a winery tour and it reminded me of home because the owner was from Wisconsin. Maybe one day ill own a winery in South Africa and live there for their summer and then go to the states for our summers. What an awesome job!

Holistic Fair
The holistic fair is a “hippy” fair that they have in Obs. Its really awesome though because they have stuff from all over the world. They have food from India, China, Indonesia, Greece, Africa, etc. They also have people selling stuff from all over. Also everything is so much cheaper than it in is the stores in Obs. It was really cool to look at all the stuff from all over and I got some really cool African gifts.

No comments: